Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Pizza Port Brewing Company



I snagged a couple of Pizza Port Brews this weekend and blew my palate out on one of them. Hop-15 was the one that didn't kill my taste buds. It's a double IPA with apricot coloring and an inviting, well balanced aroma. The aroma is bright, and consists of baked dough and grapefruit. No single aspect of this ale is overwhelming or unbalanced, it is liquid luxury. The flavor is dominated by a grapefruit character with the sweet yet bitter contrast that comes from fresh squeezed grapefruit juice.

Yesterday, I found a Pizza Port Second Anniversary Ale in Boston. I ventured to Boston with the hope of meeting my first legally married lesbian couple. While I was there, I grabbed some beers.  The Second Anniversary Ale is close to Hop-15 in aroma and grapefruit character with one large difference: after each sip, the muscles in the back of my jaw seized up from the insane bitterness. My reaction was borderline painful, and the dose of hops completely ruined my palate over the last 24 hours. At this point, an IPA might as well be a glass of sparkling water as far as I'm concerned. The Pizza Port beers I tried were Amazing. They were mad hoppy and will definitely sate a hop fix.

2 comments:

Beerbuddha said...

"Mad Hoppy"? Already sounding like a Yankee. Next thing we'll hear you saying Pahk the Cah and Watah. Or maybe we'll be lucky and get a "wicked pissa" or "green monstah". Anyways, Go Red Sox!

Fuzzy Dunlop said...

Buddha,

What the hell does "Pahk the Cah and Watah" mean? Why would I park the car and water?