Monday, August 4, 2008

Cape Cod Beer Tour

For being located in the liberal, progressive, and "not at all" racist Northeast, the beer scene in Cape Cod is pretty weak. You can find a liquor store here or there has one kind of Dogfish Head and some local micro offerings, but for the most part it's the Majors and Sierra Nevada that reign. It's comforting in that it reminds me of the beer scene at home (minus the bag boy barraging you with "Do you know what they call sex in Alabama?" jokes). But you know there's more to life than Sierra Nevada out there. 


I found one exception to the boring beer stores on the Cape: Kappy's Fine Wine & Liquor of Falmouth, MA. It's like Total Wine in store size and selection but with the cozy, run-down flavor of a local store. The beer isle is massive and it almost made me pass out. There are a range of brews from Dogfish Head, Smuttynose, Left Hand, Middle Ages, Boulder, Clipper City, Otter Creek, Wachusetts, along with a bunch of other New England micros that I've neither heard of nor would waste my time on. Going to Kappy's is a bit like finding a fountain of beer in the desert. I picked up Sam Adam's Triple Bock, Stone's Vertical Epic '07, a Dizzy Fizzle (DFH) Palo Santo Marron (a 12% brown ale aged in Palo Santo wood), Legacy's Hoptimus Prime, Stone Coast Batch 420 IPA, Middle Ages ImPaled Ale, and an Avery Marahaja for old times sake. Unfortunately, I have to drink all this in the like three days before I head back to Abitaland, so my posts may get a little fuzzy. Here goes the beer tour.


1 comment:

Beerbuddha said...

Hmmm. Anything for me in there? Please?