Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot 2008

I miss barely wines during the summer. I know everyone wants their light, zesty drinks during the hot summer, but I'm sitting in air conditioning right now so what does light and zesty matter? I want some complexity that packs a punch. Today I found it. A beer buddy of mine gave me the heads up on a store that still has the elusive and summer averse Bigfoot. I'm not even giving out the name of the store in case there are actually people reading this and they fiend for Bigfoot.




Anyway, I'm having a Bigfoot and his big ass is stomping on my senses. Bigfoot comes out in winter, so the one I'm sipping now is aged six months and it's already changed. When it's released Bigfoot is has a hop character like an Imperial IPA. I've heard people claim it's mislabeled as a barley wine and is really an Imperial IPA. I don't buy the argument because the malt flavor is richer and more dominant in Bigfoot than in Imperial IPAs. Bigfoot is well hopped but it's not crazy hopped like Imperials. There's also that maple syrup coloring that Imperial IPAs don't usually have. However, I can see where an argument like this come from. Beers like Great Divide's Hercules Double IPA can blur the line between a big IPA and a barley wine. Bigfoot is aptly named. It's flavors are epic, and some of them are reminiscent of the forests Bigfoot is said to lurk in.


After six months the hop aroma becomes less aggressive, and a spicy malt aroma is more apparent. The aroma still has a deep pine forest character, there is just more malt accent with light aromas of spice, beef broth, cinnamon, sherry and spice.


The mouth feel and flavor of aged Bigfoot become leaner and longer, respectively. The body is more syrupy, but the thick malt still sticks to the side of your mouth. The malt flavor and hop bitterness are more harmonious, while the malt flavors develop new characteristics like caramel. There is still an aggressive bitterness in the finish, but it's fitting, pleasant and more in harmony with the other flavors. There are strong flavors of unsweetened dark chocolate and pine, with slighter notes of fig, char, forest, spice, earthy autumn leaves, and dried fruits (cherry, apricot). Bigfoot is less drinkable at refrigerator temperature and livens up as it warms.

1 comment:

Beerbuddha said...

Your welcome.

Sincerely,

The Beerbuddha
Official Bigfoot Finder