Thursday, July 19, 2007

Not So Metallic Steel Rail


Berkshire Brewing Company's Steel Rail Extra Pale Ale was a pleasant surprise. I attended a wedding in the Berkshires this past weekend (Congrats Byron and Steph) and desperately needed a drink after a long drive from D.C. I downed a couple of Jim & Gingers first; it was a wedding after-all. Then I saw an unfamiliar name at the bar and asked the friendly bar keep about Steel Rail. He said that if I liked a malty beer with some hops then I would probably like the local beer brewed right down the road. I said, "feed me." Well, he was right, I did like it. A lot. It's no great beer, but it's good. So refreshing. I should mention that I had it on draft. The beer was indeed malty, but I did not find it as hoppy as I was told. Boy did it go down easy. Unfortunately, the wedding bar did not have any other Berkshire Brewing beers available for my consumption, but you better believe that I checked out their website as soon as I got home (sadly, no time to find/visit the brewery). Berkshire Brewing's website identifies the Steel Rail E.P.A. as its "flagship product that has a full malt flavor and is balanced with a pronounced hop flavor and bitterness." Pretty sweet label too. I like trains.

No comments: