Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot 2009


I am currently in love with cameras that take backward pictures. At first it confused me. I checked the bottle to make sure the label wasn't on backwards. It wasn't. Then I took some more backward pictures and fell in love with my camera. I've always been adept at writing upside down and backwards so the accompanying photo doesn't bother me.

Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot 2009 is finally here. It tastes hoppier this year but that could be because it's fresh (the beer was bottled three weeks ago). The coloring is deep red, like watered down maple syrup. The aroma is fresh, sharp and flowery with hints of citrus and pine, spice. The flavor is dripping with hops from start to finish. The malt flavoring is there but it's pushed aside by the aggressive hops.  The flavor begins with a sweet, intense fruit character that melds into a strong, bitter finish.   

I have heard the argument that Bigfoot is a double IPA masquerading as a barley wine. I have previously discussed and dismissed the claim in this forum, but after considering this year's release I feel the argument has weight. If I sampled this beer in a blind taste test, I would swear it's an IPA. The hops are too heavy (90 IBUs) while the malt body and flavor isn't where it should be for a barley wine. It's still an awesome beer, but it might also be cross dressing.   

                                                     

No comments: